Friday, October 7, 2011

Storytelling


When I think to certain video games I played as a child I remember I loved the games with a good story line. The story line was captivating and intriguing and helped me stay in tune with the games. Two games in particular that I felt had a great story line and I would play until I reached the end were A Yoshi Story and Super Mario. These two games




A Yoshi Story: I was about nine or ten when I first started playing this game. Now when I think back to this game I think at how easy it is to play. However, back then I thought it was such a challenge to beat. The story is basically this: The Yoshi's live on Yoshi Island in a world of happiness with their Super Happy Tree. The Super Happy Tree is what gives the Yoshi joy and happiness. However, it is stolen by Baby Bowser who is jealous of the Yoshi's. He turns their world into a story book in which the Yoshi's have to go through each page to retrieve.

To me this game was a challenge because you had to collect 30 different fruits to get to the next page. With each page came a new challenge and new difficulties. I recall being so into this simple story line as a child that I would play for hours to get through the levels. This game took me longer than it should have to beat. But as simple of a story line as it was it kept me interested. I understood the purpose of why I was collecting the fruits, why I was trying to get the tree back and the importance of each level. Without the story line I would have been confused as to why I was trying to beat the game.
                                                                 **********

Super Mario: This is by far my favorite game of all time on a console. This game had so many challenges and obstacles that it took me months if not longer to beat this game. This story for this game is basically this: Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach and her servants from her castle. In this midst of this Mario has to travel through the castle now controlled by Bowser to gain Star Power to eventually fight Bowser and retrieve Princess Peach. Seems simple? It's not.



This game was by far one of the hardest games with a story line I had ever played. I was so into this game that I would isolate myself for hours on end to get to the next level at all cost. The story line to me was such a great one because each level connected to each other in some way. I wasn't just gaining stars just to gain them. Everything I did was significant and important to move onto the next level. To me this story line holds up because it had action, suspense, challenges. Everything anyone could want was in this game making it one of the best story line games in my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason my comments disappeared.. This is a good blog entry. Oil lowing storylines that intrigued you as a child... A good story is a good story. Nad timeless. Good!

    ReplyDelete